Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A Readers Comments - Allison From New York

I wanted to share comments from a reader- Allison From Albany NY- infuriated by the Rap culture and its impact on the Black image. I received the comments a couple of days ago, and knew right away that I would be making a post on it.

Allison was responding to a blog entry that I made last year entitled "Why I Hate Rap Music". The post links to an NPR discussion on the image of Black women in media. See Here.

Allison's Comments:

I'm DISGUSTED with the rappers of today. It's disgusting and degrading to the black culture that these men can sit here on national television and talk about "diving" in however many women they please. It's DISGUSTING because as a beautiful black woman I feel as if every black man who sees me immediately plays those songs in his head prior to approaching me and God forbid that I turn him down. I become a hater, or a hoe..and if I do accept his approach I am still considered a hoe until he realizes that he's not getting any from me. Young boys listen to this music and become infatuated with the lyrics, the lifestyle, and twisted mentality that is portrayed in the music. The devil uses these rappers well. He takes a heavenly bass, corrupt yet gifted lyricists, intertwines them and creates a musical hell for the world.

I'm 21 years old, and I cannot tolerate rap music being played in my house, my car, no not even my ears. At one point I went out to the club scene slightly often, and the only way I could ever enjoy the music was to be totally drunk. Thank God those days are over. What is America that it can say In God we trust, yet allow such disrespect among the people. What is a black man worth when he can not even respect the black woman who birthed him? The music has become so bad that women are trying to get in on it to retaliate against what these black rappers "preach and teach." I have NO respect for any of them, and they ought to add to the CD cover: "Warning..this album may increase your chances of catching AIDS if you act on what we say." My trust level, and respect for young black men in America is at an all time low..especially when you hear them driving around in their cars blasting these DISGUSTING songs that are being played every 20 minutes on the radio and Cd's. I have something to say to my young black boys in America..Don't let the devil use rappers to hasten the destruction of your soulish realm, which is your mind, body, and spirit. Become a better man because only weak men speak of such hideous things to a nation full of his own people who suffer enough through low income, and low self-esteems. I beg you..please help to lift your people. Don't keep digging holes for us all to fall in. Black people have a hard enough time keeping families together, and rapping about promiscuity, drugs, weapons, murder, and bling-bling is the best way for our culture to continue to be stagnant. The devil has successfully destroyed the black civilization, and rappers are his biggest FORMED weapons.

Will we ever regain unity and love of self, or will we continue to destroy the tiny culture we have left? When will you rappers come out of the devil's office and actually help your people? When will you take a step out of that smoky room you're in and open your eyes to the destruction of self that you have caused among your black brothers? When will you allow God into your music, and kick satan out? When my brothers because your sisters are in pain..mothers are in pain. When will you all become strong men and not weak men created by America?

1 comment:

rikyrah said...

Raising my fist in salute to Allison from New York.

She's only 21 -AND SHE GETS IT!

I mean, she gets nearly 90% of it.

The last part that she doesn't get is to take away blaming the Devil for it, and call it for what it is - the White Supremacist backing of this music.

She even gets that our dehumanization is going GLOBAL because of this garbage.

But, it's deliberate, and it's not the devil, but White Supremacy behind it. Since Birth of a Nation, it's been organized to paint us as a community as less than human.

THAT hasn't changed.

What HAS changed, is that, up until 15-20 years ago, we didn't have willing BLACK participants in this process.

Until then WE had always been the one fighting and protesting telling the world - THEIR depiction of us is NOT WHO WE ARE.

But, then came the Sellouts of Hip Hop, who chose to betray the community for their 300 pieces of gold, and have, until very recently, been able to perpetrate their HUSTLE that they are actually agents OF the community instead of being seen as the BETRAYER OF the the community.

I do believe that tide is turning, and people are seeing them for the House Negro/Sambos that they are.

Allison gives me hope, because the more people that wake up, the closer we are to taking back the community.