Monday, July 09, 2007

Our Brothers & Sisters in Latin America

For all the talk of a Black/Brown coalition here in the United States, I've been one who just doesn't see it happening, because of the underlying racial issues. A sticking point for me has been how it would be difficult for Black people in the United States to talk about having a coalition with our Brown Brothers & Sisters, considering that they haven't dealt with the Black folk in their own land.

The Miami Herald has done a series on Afro-Latins.

Part 1- Blacks in Nicaragua
Part 2- Blacks in Latin America and their relationship/history with Africa
Part 3- Blacks in Brazil
Part 4- Blacks in Cuba
Part 5- Overview of Black leaders in the region

It definitely is a worhwhile read for anyone interested in the African Diaspora in relation to the Western Hemisphere.

3 comments:

Brian said...

Interesting article.

I wish Latinos and Black folks could be closer....but people tend to highlight differences instead of things that we have in common....such as our socio-economic conditions.

Language and culture also seem to contribute to division.

rikyrah said...

AI,

While I am skeptical about this ' alliance', I wish I didn't have to be that way, but I just don't see expounding energy on something that seems foolhearty from the word jump.

If I didn't see such obvious racism within Latin America, I could see us forming an 'alliance'. But, these are their fellow countrymen, and they're dogging them out over race. They share a language and culture with them, and still the COLOR LINE divides them.

So, how can we have an 'alliance' with them, and we share neither language nor culture?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this, Rikyrah.


I bet the Amerindian groups pushing to keep the black majority oppressed don't control resources themselves.

Pick up a copy of "World on Fire" by Amy Chua when you can. Fascinating read!!!!