Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The U.S. Will Drop Geneva Convention Standards

According to reports, the Pentagon is planning to drop Geneva Convention rules from basic military training manuals.

This is a major shift from standards that have been in place for decades. The rules that the Defense department plans to drop are related to the detention and treatment of enemy prisoners.

UNBELIEVABLE STORY!!! Seems that everyday I have to pinch myself, to remind myself that i'm still in America.

I was just thinking about this a few days ago. With all the misconduct involving the U.S. military- from Abu Ghraib to the Haditha killings and more... I was thinking that it is time for MORE training for U.S. troops in the Geneva Convention rules.... Now this? The Pentagon wants to eliminate some of these key rules for its own troops, contrary to International Law?

Follow story from following sources:

The Sydney Herald

The Guardian

The Houston Chronicle

USA Today

No comments: