Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Obama In Oakland, March 17th

The man has been attracting huge crowds



I still don't believe that White America (as a whole) will ever allow a black man to become President of the United States. (The only exception being a Black VP and some strange twist of fate). Perhaps Obama will try the VP route... But then again, I honestly don't believe a White candidate will ever choose a Black candidate as their running mate. Cynical? Yes.... But i'm cynical and right. Racism has always been the biggest Elephant in America's living room. An Elephant that few people want to even admit is there, let alone talk about. And racism is still a big part of White America.... unfortunately. It plays itself out in politics, just like every other facet of America. Although these days it is often a little harder to see. Sometimes it is staring us right in the face and we don't realize it. That's how innocuous racism has become for some of us (and some Whites as well... who sometimes display racism...not realizing what they are doing).

And I don't believe that he will be able to defeat a Republican in the General election.

Could I be wrong? Sure.... but if I were a betting man, I would not put any money on the Senator from Illinois.... not because he's not qualified or he can't do the job... but because of the big part that racism still plays in America.

But I still get a little pride when I see the man doing his thing, although I don't agree with many of his policy positions.

(You can find the rest of the speech via Youtube)

2 comments:

Zennie said...

Hi,

I think that cynicism is a course for inaction. Please drop it. We as a people have to get over the "White America" knee jerk reaction. Who cares what White or Asian or any America will do.

Take responsibility. The question is WHAT will you DO!?! Work for Barack Obama. Make it happen instead of just giving the power to someone else, which is what you're doing.

Go to http://www.barackobama.com

GET INVOLVED FOR GOD'S SAKE!

Anonymous said...

I understand your skepticism. I think it's valid.

For me, though, I'm tired of not having the answer to the question.

And, the only way we'll know if White America will elect a Black man, is if a Black man runs.

Maybe it won't be THIS Black man. But, I believe his run is a positive, because of the racial Rorshach test happening right now.