Monday, October 01, 2007

A Blast from the Past

I have a confession to make. I was a metalhead back in high school in the late 1980s. I had long hair, played guitar in a metal band, and wore a leather jacket with spikes. From that era I remember vividly a music video where Public Enemy collaborated with heavy metal band Anthrax. Through the magic of YouTube here it is straight from the 80s: Public Enemy and heavy metal band Anthrax doing a rap metal treatment of PE's "Bring the Noise!"



Seeing white metalheads like Anthrax and Black Power militants like Public Enemy getting along and rocking out together gave me a feeling of an odd sort of idealism. That interracial harmony and mutual respect, even among ones you would least expect it from, is possible. And I bet you that was exactly the type of message that Anthrax and PE wanted to bring in collaborating in this pioneering music video.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I wouldn't call Public Enemy Black Power Militants...
They were interested in raising awareness and expressing pride through their music...and they wanted to do it with a little edge. But point taken.

They made some interesting music in the late 80's-early 90's period.
I listened to their early work, but I no longer follow their music.

They did seem to see the benefit of playing with Rock bands. It introduced them to a whole new audience.