Friday, October 10, 2008

" I Cried My Last Tears Yesterday"

I found this over at The Field


Guest Post from a Field Hand: "I Cried My Last Tears Yesterday"
Posted by Al Giordano - October 10, 2008 at 3:27 pm By Al Giordano



Dear Al,

The words in the subject line are from a gospel song by Mary Mary:


I feel that way. I write to you because I think you know how I feel, where I am coming from, and the struggle that we have all been on for so long.

If it matters, I am an African American single mother-This election means more to me than I can find the words to describe. I love this country despite all of our history.

And yesterday, I cried my last tears, after I watch the venomous, vile, and vitriolic display at the McCain-Palin rally unfold over the last few days. I was raised in a Southern Baptist church, and I was taught as a young child when things look bleak and you are backed up against a wall you just let go and let God. We as AAs have been subjected to the system and have the philosophy ingrained that we have to accept the things that we can not change.

Well here and now damn it--I have cried my last tears yesterday. I am going to fight!

I love the principles that our country was founded on--and I hate what some people are resorting to. And we will fulfill the promise of a More Perfect Union.

This is the election that will either save or end my life as I know it--nonetheless I will be different. I am different.

Just as I find comfort in the sentiments of an old negro spiritual, I find comfort in the words on your blog. You express--in clear succinct terms what I am feeling, what I am going through, and how I can make it to the other side. I can't cry any more.

This moment has ignited a new found sense of civic duty, civic pride, and civic virtue that I have never experienced before. I owe it all to the residual effects of being an organizer.

Al, keep on telling the people how important this is.

Keep telling them to push one step further.

Keep telling them my struggle is our struggle .

Tell em' not to cry.

Cause I cried my last tears, yesterday.


Between this, and Donna Brazile, it's like I'm going to church up in here.

1 comment:

Truthiz said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!

...and let the Church say AMEN!