Thursday, May 10, 2007

Message For The Black Blogosphere

Periodically, I will throw a few ideas onto my blog...with the hopes that I can spark some interest and that someone may borrow the idea.... there are no copyrights on any of my ideas, because I don't want money and I don't want any glory (although you could give me credit for the idea). I'm sure others have already come up with some of these ideas already.

But (especially for the Afrosphere folks)....

A Suggestion

#1.
*Someone needs to begin putting together a master list (on one page) of all the Broadcasting companies...like Clear Channel, Emmis Broadcasting... BET, Viacom, etc etc... including the names of the people who run those companies.... the exec staff, etc.

*All the offending record companies AND the key executives...

* The e-mail and traditional mailing addresses to all of these entities...

* Names, Addresses, Execs of key advertisers, etc....

* Names and contact info for people at big media (ABC, CBS, CNN, NPR, etc) who we could lobby to get a story on the air about what we are doing and who we are targeting.

This would basically be our dossier or master list... so that when it is time to move with a letter writing campaign and when we try to get big media to pick up a story (so that we can shame these folks) we will be ready to go right out of the starting gate...without searching for that information. This kind of info will probably take a couple of weeks to compile.

#2. Someone also needs to begin the tedious task of compiling a list of all the offending rappers.... their real names.... who they work for, who their corporate sponsors are, etc. This could be the second part of the dossier. This way... when we have to target someone... we already know what sponsor to go after.... we can also target their tours if we could find the tour schedules in time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the Media Matters or the Fair websites have this information. They monitor the media. Maybe even something on the FCC website because for sure the FCC would need to know these things I think.

credo said...

Here's a link that may help: http://www.stopbigmedia.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi Independent. Yes I agree that a lot of people accept this but I think there might be a lot more who don't. Most employers wouldn't let their employees dress like this, many parents don't like it, some schools have dress codes against some of it, on some tv stations in Canada gang symbols are blurred out, in Canada they don't even play the videos that really degrade women, people who don't like gangsta rap don't like it (thats a lot of people who like classical, jazz, R& B, techno, dance, country, or lots of other types of music). A lot of adults just grow out of this and now they don't act or dress in the same way.

If some of the kids in the photos don't even know what they are doing then once they realize then some of them might stop. So I still believe.

If you start another blog I would love to help with any technical things and make graphics. I really like the set up of this blog host because it is so flexible in the way it can be set up. As long as it doesn't offend people or seem racist in any way and I don't think your proposed website will come off that way. What do you think?

Brian said...

Thanks Bronze...

I will let you know when I start the blog. I could use a co-blogger for it.