Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Genius of Gil Scott Heron

The Genius of Gil Scott Heron



I love his music... one of my favorite artists. One of the greats indeed. If you aren't familiar with this man... (and it doesn't matter if you're white, black, red, green, or orange), then you should become familiar with him.

It's too bad that he's battling with Drugs. For some reason, many of Americas great artists had troubled personal lives. I don't quite understand this common parallel, but it has always been there. The same could be said for the worlds great artists in general, not just those in the U.S. But Gil Scott is no exception.

I don't agree with him on his approach towards "Gangster Rap" (because I can't stand the stuff or the rap industry that breeds it), but he still managed to make good points, even though I disagree.

And I love how he frustrates the hell out of the host in the video.

No comments: