Sunday, March 08, 2009

Double Take - Abraham, Martin, & John

Abraham, Martin, & John

Written By Richard Holler as a tribute to Abraham Lincoln, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., John F. Kennedy and Robert Kennedy. It really put a perspective on the turbulent 1960's. When I think about how bad things are today (and they are bad).... I think back and realize that in many ways... the 60's were a lot worse. Lincoln's era was also bad. Not to mention the 1930's... that could be a blog discussion for another day.

Abraham, Martin & John - (original) by Dion 1968


Marvin Gaye's rendition - 1970


Verdict:

I don't really have a verdict on this one... since I like both of the recordings and neither can really be diminished. The artists took completely different approaches... so it would be an unfair comparison.

This double take is just about enjoying the song...

I believe Smokey Robinson and the Miracles also did a version of this one.

I believe Marvin Gaye did something slightly different with the lyrics... but i'm not 100% on that (i'm half asleep at the moment...so pardon me).

5 comments:

rikyrah said...

There's something about the original that is so haunting to me. It carries the heaviness of the 60's.

zinjanthropus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
zinjanthropus said...

I don't remember that the Dion version was the famous" version. Was It?

Notice in the Dion video, the quote from King; "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about THANGS that matter."

Thangs? What was that about? Is this the case where someone respelled the word to reflect an accent? Is this the 70s equivalent of "Gangstah" ?

Brian said...

I'm not sure what you mean by "famous"... but that's irrelevant. The Dion recording was the original. And yes, it charted quite well.

I try to start out with the original (unless it's not available)....I think there is only one case where I don't use the original...that's for a song I haven't posted yet. In terms of the cover track, i'm free to choose whatever rendition I want... but I try to find one that's known or familiar.

zinjanthropus said...

"Famous" = the one that the majority of people know. As opposed to the original which often times may be better, yet more obscure.

Famous versions;
"Money" "The Beatles,
"I will always Love You"- Whitney
"Crossroads"- Clapton


The reason I asked is because the original version sounds more like the arrangement I remember, even though I don't think it was the Dion version.(could be though) I don't dislike the Gaye version, but to my ears it's an obvious cover. I like the original better.