Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Dear Latinos,

sonia_sotomayor


While I usually stay out of other groups' business, I have to say this:

You all better step up to the plate and start defending Sonia Sotomayor.

There have been attacks on Judge Sotomayor's ' qualifications' to be even considered for the Supreme Court seat opening up with the retirement of Justice Souter.

Now, people can call them 'criticisms', if they want, but I found it to be a pile of racist BS. I won't link to the original column in The New Republic, but I will point you towards three folks that countered it:

Ta-Nehisi Coates:
Judicial Malpractice,
Be Serious,
The Meme Builds
Glenn Greenwald, Jeffrey Rosen- TNR and the anonymous smears against Sonia Sotomayor
And, our own dnA, Adam Serwer, FRANK RICCI AND SONIA SOTOMAYOR.

Now, Sotomayor's not my dog in this hunt. I've made no bones about wanting a Black Woman for that spot, but you better believe that if any Sistas come out into the 'Universe of Possible Contenders', I, and others, won't let racist BS like that tripe at The New Republic go unchallenged. Be clear on this, the reason that Alberto Gonzales (no matter what you think of him), didn't make it to the Supreme Court, didn't have anything to do with Democrats. It was REPUBLICANS that torpedoed him. Alberto isn't fit to shine Sotomayor's shoes.

But, make no mistake on this:

IFFFFFFF they are successful at smearing Sotomayor, they'll try with the NEXT Latino that is thrown out there.

You better recognize and get out there slugging for this woman, who is more than qualified. Woman graduated summa cum laude from Princeton. They can go f-themselves about this ' unqualified minority' BS they're trying to spread.


UPDATE: I was alerted to this terrific piece: On the Brilliance of People like Judge Sonia Sotomayor and Barack Obama

1 comment:

Andre said...

Truthfully, I never heard of Sotomayor until last week, but that was only within the context of her judicial and intellectual 'lightweight' (the word I've heard in a few discussions).

I hope Obama is not so blindly committed to diversity that just any ole person gets a slot on the bench. We've already seen what can occur when that happens.