Thursday, November 05, 2009

Shootings At Fort Hood Kill 12, Gunman Still Alive

(pictured: Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan)
Earlier Reports of Shooter Being Killed Were Incorrect

So far, this does not appear to be related to International Terrorism. Turns out to be an American soldier with mental issues who went over the cliff. (This will be disappointing to those in Conservative Right wing radio and the folks over at Fox News....but they will still find a way to use this to bash President Obama, alienate Muslim Americans and cause them fear, and embarrass the Country and the troops as they appoint themselves as the official spokespeople for vets and Fort Hood's military families. I love how they take on their phony roles as representatives for "The Real America"...and "The Good America".....code for, well, you know.....)

See report below from the UK Telegraph

The announcement came hours after it was reported that Maj Hasan had been shot dead by the authorities after he allegedly walked into a training centre and opened fire on fellow soldiers who were having last minute medical check-ups before being deployed to Afghanistan.

Maj. Hasan was in custody and was in a stable condition, Lt. Gen. Bob Cone said. The death toll from the shooting remains at 12.

Lt Gen Cone offered little explanation to reporters at a news conference as to why the suspect was believed dead, saying only there was confusion at the hospital.

The massacre took place at the sprawling Fort Hood base, the largest American military installation in the world. It is not clear if the attack was an act of political terrorism.

Sources said Maj Hasan had been due to be deployed to Iraq shortly and was an army psychiatrist. He is believed to have been in his late 30s and from Virginia.

It was reported that he did not want to go to Iraq.

Ten of the victims were soldiers and one was a civilian police officer. Two other injured soldiers were in a “very serious” condition in hospital.

Gun fire later erupted around the base as two alleged accomplices, also US soldiers, were captured and police said there may have been more than one gunman.

One of them had barricaded himself in a traumatic brain injury unit where he was surrounded by SWAT teams. Four police officers were wounded before he was arrested.

Read more from the UK Telegraph

Suspect was worried about being sent to Iraq

Related Article from the Wall Street Journal

No comments: