Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Colin Powell on Obama and Jeremiah Wright

Powell gave an interview to Good Morning America.

Here's the money section:

Returning to presidential politics, Powell condemned controversial remarks by Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Obama's pastor of 20 years, as "deplorable" but complimented the Democratic candidate for his speech on race that followed in the aftermath.


"Rev. Wright is also somebody who has made enormous contributions in his community and has turned a lot of lives around," Powell said, "And so, I have to put that in context with these very offensive comments that he made, which I reject out of hand."

Powell added that he does not know Wright, and praised Obama's response.

"I think that Sen. Obama handled the issue well . . . he didn't look the other way. He didn't wait for the, for the, you know, for the storm to go over. He went on television, and I thought, gave a very, very thoughtful, direct speech. And he didn't abandon the minister who brought him closer to his faith," Powell told Sawyer.

Powell, who has been mentioned as a possible vice presidential candidate in almost every election since he retired from military service and public life, expressed admiration for Obama.

"It was a good (speech)," Powell said. "I admired him for giving it. And I agreed with much of what he said."


The rest of the interview,which can be found here, talks about Iraq, Afghanistan, The Possible Olympic Boycott.

In the annals of ' What Ifs', one of my consistent ' What Ifs' goes like this:
WHAT IF Colin Powell had resigned, instead of gone up to the U.N. to lie for Bush? I know a lot of y'all will never forgive him for it, and I understand that, but even now....my head tells me one thing, but my heart...still has a soft spot for Powell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I noticed the post on JJP. Powell's semi endorsement of Obama is already having its desired effect. The Blogosphere is buzzing with the prospect of his endorsement. This should give McCain some pause as he continues to court the neocons. Moderates like Hagel and Powell need to be more vocal.