Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Guess who's not running for re-election?

hat tips-JeffL and djchefron



King Richard Daley II is not running for re-election.


Mayor Daley is not seeking another term

BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter

Chicago will have to learn to live without a mayor named Daley. The nation’s longest-serving mayor is calling it quits.

In a stunning development that hit the city like a political earthquake, Richard M. Daley announced Tuesday that he would not seek a seventh term.

Daley made the announcement during a City Hall news conference — deceptively billed as a “major cabinet appointment” — that lasted all of four-and-a-half minutes.

The mayor was flanked by his wife, Maggie, daughters Nora and Elizabeth “Lally,” son Patrick and son-in-law Sean Conroy.

Daley took no questions and choked up twice: when he referred to his son, Kevin, who died of spina bifida at the age of 2, and when he thanked his family for their “love and support . . . without it, I could not have done this.” He was clearly a man at peace with his decision.

“Today, I am announcing that I will not seek a seventh term as mayor of the city of Chicago. Simply put, it’s time. Time for me. And time for Chicago to move on,” said Daley, 68, who will surpass his father as Chicago’s longest-serving mayor in December.

“I’ve given it my all. I’ve done my best. Now, I’m ready with my family to begin the next phase of our lives. In the coming days, I know there will be some reflecting on my time as mayor. Many of you will search to find what’s behind my decision. It’s simple. I have always believed that every person, especially public officials, must understand when it is time to move on. For me, that time is now.”



Well, I thought I might never live to see the day.



King Richard is stepping down.

It's about to be a free-for-all in Chicago.

A political free-for-all.

If you love politics as blood sport, it's about to get interesting.

There are plenty of candidates, but it will be interesting to see who steps up to the plate.

IS there a Black candidate that can come forth, and get the political and financial support to make a real go out of it?

I don't know. There's a couple of people that I would love to see throw their hat into the ring.

This is but another reason why I'm pissed at Jesse Jackson Jr., and the fiasco with the Senate Seat. Those shenanigans have put a kabosh on anything for him for at least a decade.

I know folks are talking about Rahm Emanuel, but I don't see it. I don't see how he gets in - period.

Don't sleep on that weasel Luis Guiterrez....but, I'd crawl over ground glass to vote against him.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lisa Madigan's name thrown about, but hell no to that too. Her father already controls too much of Chicago.

I guess the best part of this is that Daley's clowns will be fired by the next Mayor - one can hope, can't they?

1 comment:

Roderick said...

I hate to say this but I hope Rahm runs for mayor of Chicago if only to get him out of the White House and maybe Obama will be more free to do what he was elected.