Tuesday, December 30, 2008

We Beg Your Pardon America

Appropriate, since this is Pardon season.... especially as we have an Administration throwing the documents in the fireplace on their way out... (the scene from the Movie "The Longest Day" when the Germans were panicking comes to mind). And as Madoff is sitting at home...likely to do time at a "Club Fed" facility, and Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rove, Gonzales, and a long list of others allowed to walk freely into the sunset pretty soon... and with the AIG Execs getting their bonuses...not to mention a new Congress saying that they don't plan to seek Justice or snoop around too much.... Jeeezz... Can't we at least establish what the Hell happened and find out exactly who did what, so something could be done to make it harder for it to happen again?

I wish I could get a Pardon. I wish I could have my student loan debt Pardoned. I wish I could get a Pardon for being Black.... so that I could get a fair shot (and no... i'm not the type who screams about "The Man" holding me back), I wish the ladies could Pardon me for being a broke Grad student, I wish I could be Pardoned for all the stupid ---- i've done over the last 35 years.... but no Pardons or bailouts for me...

This track was done 30 years ago... and somehow it still applies so well today. Gil Scott always seems to be on time.

We Beg Your Pardon (Pardon Our Analysis) - Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson

2 comments:

will said...

Those with power have always had avenues of escape not available to the unwashed. Only when their crimes are hopelessly obvious is there opportunity for justice. But it's a justice much different than given to petty crimes.

DC is a club only for certain people. The wild card has been the illusion of sharing, kindled by intelligence and education.

Old money, new money, elite families and social networks still are the coin that runs this country.

They take care of their own.

Anonymous said...

AI: I don't know what you do for a living, but I'm telling you dawg: whatever it is, you're in the wrong profession. Only in politics and big business can you not only get pardoned for bad behavior, you most likely will get rewarded.