Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Attacks on Big Tobacco Continue - Good!

Yesterday, the Supreme Court ruled that plaintiffs can proceed in state courts against Big Tobacco in their claims that the tobacco companies knowingly misled consumers with claims that light cigarettes would deliver less tar and nicotine.

I'm not a fan of smokers. I have little sympathy for them when they develop cancer or the like. I know I should, but I don't. However, I cannot abide by duplicitous companies that deliberately profit on distortions of the truth.

Keep in mind, the Supreme Court did not rule that what Big Tobacco did was illegal, they simply allowed the suits to proceed in state courts. This is a big blow for the purveyors of cancer sticks - they'll have to defend in court after court now. Oh well, they profit handsomely in China right now. They can afford it.

No comments: