Monday, March 10, 2008

NY Governor Spitzer Caught Up in Prostitution Ring

From The NYTimes.com

Spitzer Is Linked to Prostitution Ring
By DANNY HAKIM and WILLIAM K. RASHBAUM
Published: March 10, 2008


ALBANY - Gov. Eliot Spitzer, who gained national prominence relentlessly pursuing Wall Street wrongdoing, has been caught on a federal wiretap arranging to meet with a high-priced prostitute at a Washington hotel last month, according to a law enforcement official and a person briefed on the investigation

The wiretap captured a man identified as Client 9 on a telephone call confirming plans to have a woman travel from New York to Washington, where he had reserved a hotel room, according to an affidavit filed in federal court in Manhattan. The person briefed on the case and the law enforcement official identified Mr. Spitzer as Client 9.

Mr. Spitzer, a first term Democrat, today made a brief public appearance during which he apologized for his behavior, and described it as a “private matter.” He did not address his political future.

“I have acted in a way that violates my obligation to my family and violates my or any sense of right or wrong,” said Mr. Spitzer, who appeared with his wife Silda at his Manhattan office. “I apologize first and most importantly to my family. I apologize to the public to whom I promised better.”

“I have disappointed and failed to live up to the standard I expected of myself. I must now dedicate some time to regain the trust of my family.”

Before speaking, Mr. Spitzer stood with his arm around his wife; the two nodded and then strode forward together to face more than 100 reporters. Both had glassy, tear-filled eyes, but they did not cry.

As he went to leave, three reporters called out, "Are you resigning? Are you resigning?", and Mr. Spitzer charged out of the room, slamming the door.

The governor learned that he had been implicated in the prostitution inquiry when a federal official contacted his staff Friday, according to the person briefed on the case.


Rest of story is HERE.


The Truth IS, always HAS BEEN and always WILL BE ----

stranger than fiction.

Personally, I think the Drivers Licenses for Illegals hurt him more with the voters than this ever would - it's New York.

UPDATE: After watching all the political shows, I see now that Spitzer is a dead duck. He has no friends; he's made a lot of enemies that are now circling his carcass; the Democrats are close to taking back control of all of the state governmental bodies in New York and can't afford to have him, in effect, leading the Democratic Party of New York.

2 comments:

Brian said...

He needs to resign immediately.

New York will also have its first African American Governor.

Andre said...

I'm not so sure that this will get dismissed in favor of the driver's license fiasco. If anything, it'll get piled on to the rest of his blunders; particularly since he was ostensibly committed to cracking down on prostitution. All the while he got caught gettin' some prostitute a** himself. Hypocrisy abound!

Stuff like this makes me wish I was funny. I'd blow up as a comedian with some of this material.