Friday, March 27, 2009

Women Giving Up Their Dignity To Survive the Economy - What Would You Do In a Desperate Financial Situation?


What Are You Willing to Do If The Going Gets Rougher? What's Your Plan B if you lose your Job? Have you thought about it? If not, you probably should.

A recent MSNBC report highlighted the fact that many ordinary women are now turning to the Sex Trade in order to support themselves and their families in what's being called "The Great Recession" (perhaps soon to be a Depression). To me, this is one of those things that really gives you a true indication of how well an economy is working for the average citizen. It's more powerful than any abstract Labor Department number that rarely gives you a human face.

This latest story follows a story from ABC News which aired late last year.



This really tells the tale about what's going on in the economy more than any other measure. It really shows the kind of nightmare that Bush/Cheney left for us....and it isn't over yet. Sad and horrifying at the same time.

Whether I lose my job this year is basically a toss up. Bankruptcies from businesses are spreading through the economy, since many are finding that they can't meet their obligations to creditors and suppliers or found themselves owing too much for expansions they started 1 or 2 years ago.

But - for the women reading this - could you ever see yourself giving up your dignity and turning to sex work to earn money? How bad does it have to be for someone to get to a place where they have to make this kind of decision?

Things are bad...but it isn't quite the 1930's ...at least not yet (although if the Country keeps bleeding jobs at the rate of more than half a million a month...it won't be long before we get there). I believe that we are likely to reach the technical definition of a Depression sometime this year... I may discuss that more in another posting. But how bad does it have to be for you to consider dehumanizing and objectifying yourself by selling your body? Or is that just not an option for you?


And have any of you made your plan B? Have you thought about what you would do if you lost your job? What are your plans? The NPR program On Point had a great discussion this week where they talked with real everyday folks about their "Plan B's". Take a listen.

I know it's easy to sit in judgment when some of us still have our jobs... even those like myself who hate the jobs we have... but are actually feeling lucky right now (which is a pretty creepy feeling). But I personally couldn't Prostitute myself if I were a woman and if I faced a desperate situation. I would simply take lesser work and work harder... In fact, as a man, I am facing a desperate situation at the moment. I'm currently under-employed...But my attitude is just to keep trying.... I can't trade my dignity for cash... no matter how bad things get. If worse comes to worse, I can try to find a family member to move in with (which would be a crushing blow for me... since I have worked so hard establishing a good work history and have worked so hard putting myself through college...not to mention the fact that i'm extremely independent..hate to admit that I have lost a battle, am a personal failure and hate the idea of needing help. But I would pull a Dr. Kevorkian before parting with my dignity.

But then again, we don't know for certain what we would do if things got truly desperate.

__________________________________

Related Articles & Blog Posts

Gina from What About Our Daughters Argues that All Money Isn't Necessarily Good Money

Additional link for this story from HuffPo

2 comments:

rikyrah said...

I couldn't do it. I've pretty much cut out everything that remotely was 'extra' in my life.Anything that qualified as ' disposable income'. I know a pink slip could come at anytime, and I only want a bare bones life. I can't say I'm happy about it. I want my guilt-free frivolity back.

Anonymous said...

Are we talking about 'street walkers' or 'call girls'? If I were a woman I would pray that I would not have to enter this field. I have known some women that have received help from a male friend when their finances were depleted, and formed some kind of unannounced relationship that included sex, and I know some guys that have helped ladies with finances problems and was paid with sexual favors. The street walker, strippers, dancers, and out front hookers, I cannot see. I cannot imagine the feeling of a successful woman, that has no one to help here honestly, and has to resort to prostitution.