Thursday, March 19, 2009

Obamas to Plant White House Vegetable Garden

From The NYTimes:
Obamas to Plant White House Vegetable Garden
by MARIAN BURROS
Published: March 19, 2009


WASHINGTON — On Friday, Michelle Obama will begin digging up a patch of White House lawn to plant a vegetable garden, the first since Eleanor Roosevelt’s victory garden in World War II. There will be no beets (the president doesn’t like them) but arugula will make the cut.

While the organic garden will provide food for the first family’s meals and formal dinners, its most important role, Mrs. Obama said, will be to educate children about healthful, locally grown fruit and vegetables at time when obesity has become a national concern.

In an interview in her office, Mrs. Obama said, “My hope is that through children, they will begin to educate their families and that will, in turn, begin to educate our communities.”


I think this is a good idea. I read sometimes in the comments the posters discussing their gardens and I admit that I'm a little jealous. I have no green thumb. I have no thumb whatsoever, that could sustain living things. I love that the garden will be organic. I love that it's being done in the city. The garden itself is Old School. That it's organic is 21st century. The First Family brings the best of both - values that have sustained us throughout hard times, yet with a modern spin. I can't wait for the right wing to find something WRONG with this idea of The First Lady's.

No comments: