Monday, February 16, 2009

Belated Double Take of the Week - Inner City Blues

I meant to post this last week... but I have been swamped by nonsense of all kinds over the past few days.

This was a suggestion from blog contributor Liberal Arts Dude (Redante). I originally had a different idea for this tune... but Redante's suggestion was a little more interesting.... because it mixes genres.

Inner City Blues

written by Marvin Gaye & James Nyx, Jr. and featured on Marvin Gaye's classic "What's Going On" Album (1971).

Marvin Gaye - Original (1971)


Sevendust (2003)



Verdict:

It's all in the ear of the beholder IMO. Sevendust put their own stamp on this song, and didn't seem to want to clone the original sound at all. This kind of crossover shows the appeal of Gaye's music...and shows how universal music really is... and how most people can relate to the lyrics no matter where they are from or what genre they prefer.

They did justice to the lyrics, even though they incorporated their own sound. I like the guitar energy in the Sevendust rendition. But nothing tops the original for me. Gil Scott Heron's version is also good.... that one is close... but he didn't displace the original either... and I don't think he was trying to (Gil Scott changed it around quite a bit to add his own sound).

There is actually a long tradition of Rockers blending their sound with Classic Soul... (I will be doing a few of those double-takes eventually)... and that tradition goes all the way back to the 1950's and 60's.

1 comment:

redante said...

Thanks for featuring my suggestion AI! I am a long time hard rock fan and it was a huge surprise for me to discover Sevendust's rendition Inner City Blues and thinking to myself how fresh and original their cover turned out. Of course Marvin Gaye's original still rules. But it is very rare for me to find a hard rock/metal band that does justice to old school soul and R&B classics. So for me Sevendust's rendition is a real gem.