Monday, September 03, 2007

15-year-old starts freshman year at Penn

From yahoo.com:

15-year-old starts freshman year at Penn
By KATHY MATHESON, Associated Press Writer
Sun Sep 2, 3:34 PM ET



PHILADELPHIA - Brittney Exline is too young to vote, drive a car or go to an R-rated movie, but at the age of just 15 she is beginning her Ivy League career Wednesday when classes start at the University of Pennsylvania.

She said she doesn't really notice the age gap between herself and her 17- and 18-year-old peers — and neither do they.

"I didn't tell people right off the bat that I was 15," Exline said. "A lot of people were pretty surprised."

Exline grew up in Colorado Springs, Colo., where at 8 years she was already in sixth grade. By 13 she had finished high school math. She turned 15 in February and graduated a few months later.

She's not preoccupied with how unique her accomplishments are.

"I wouldn't even really realize that if people didn't tell me," she said.

She excels at math and science and is really interested in politics, so she enrolled in a Penn program that will award her degrees from both the engineering and liberal arts schools when she graduates in 2011.



More about this special young woman here.


From the picture, she looks Black, so I thought I'd bring her here. I worry about young people SOCIALLY when put in these positions, not academically. But, I wish her the best, and applaud her achievement, and hope this is just the beginning for her.

No comments: