Thursday, June 03, 2010

Vast Majority of Americans Can't Name a Single Supreme Court Justice


Nearly two-thirds of Americans were unable to name one member of the U.S. Supreme Court in a new poll by findlaw.com. Only one-third could name one justice. Practically none were able to name all 9. See more details.

This is why I always mention that America is screwed. Americans seem to lack the basic concept of civics and understanding government. This is just the latest example of why we need more civics education in this Country. But I have a feeling that the politicians like it this way. They like the idea of a poorly informed electorate. Look at what you can do with a poorly informed electorate... just look at Faux News and the Tea Party nonsense.

Hell, I can name all 9. I guess that makes me some sort of geek. Even if my brain is foggy, I can name the majority of justices - 6 or 7 - with no problem.

This is why the majority of Americans don't get upset about Miranda rules being eroded, or an immigration law in Arizona that is legally marginal at best.... nefarious at worst, and likely unconstitutional (even with the changes made to the law by Arizona politicians as a way to dodge legal challenges).

This is one of the main reasons why i'm always disgusted with the state of American politics, and the general apathy & lack of awareness of citizens.

No comments: