Friday, June 01, 2007

A New Republican Candidate

Click Image To Enlarge

There are now so many Presidential candidates on the Republican side that I no longer try to keep track of them all. It's pointless right now anyway. And I find that most are fairly mediocre.... that includes some of the Democrats too... there are perhaps 1 or 2 exceptions. Most of the Republican candidates (and even some of the Democratic Contenders) are trying to imitate Reagan to some degree. Now Fred Thompson is taking the formal steps necessary to enter the Presidential Race.... Another actor. Sound familiar?

Republicans are incessantly searching for a John Wayne.... But a Reagan knock-off might be enough to satisfy their fix. They will take either one. "What about issues" you ask? Issues??? What are those? Americans stopped paying attention to the issues a long time ago. It's all about who strikes the best pose.... and who can best remind people of the John Wayne image.

Although I think more Americans are at least paying a little more attention to the news these days.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um you sound like you need a TV and internet news break. You are sounding like me a few weeks ago with the whole Virginia Tech situation. The world sucks right now. Corporations control the government. The glaciers are melting. People are being slaughtered in various third world nations. AIDS is exploding. We're all going to die of heart disease. Paris Hilton is going to jail and Lindsey Lohan is back in rehab.

The bad news is so dire. The frivolous is so well fluffy
Yes, the American people are oblivious to what is happening abroad. Because there is no draft, we are able to be disengaged from the war because its only happening to military families. There is no real threat that the War will touch the lives of the American people so they don't have to pay attention.

The state of political affairs and the characters that pass as presidential candidates.... well that is our own fault for asking for Teflon candidates who can walk on water.

Brian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian said...

I've been a political/news junkie for at least 10 years now, but started following politics closely probably 17 or 18 years ago. When it comes to breaking the habit, nothing has seemed to work so far.

I honestly wish I had other things to do as a diversion.... I'm currently taking a break from school... so I have more free time at the moment. And blogging has become my fix.

But you are right... I need some kind of a break from it... it's enough to drive someone crazy!

g-e-m2001 said...

Go on an Alaskan cruise. That will nip it in the bud.

rikyrah said...

I was a political junkie for a long time..for about a decade.

I took a break in 2000. I didn't come back again until 2005 for the 2006 elections.

I'm going to hang in there for the 2008 elections, and then, I don't know.

As far as my suggestions- well, I read, love movies, am sort of a tv addict - since the shows are on hiatus, blogging will fill that void this summer.. :)

But, why don't you try doing short travel trips. I'm sure there's all sorts of touristy stuff around your state.