Report only includes information from the previous full day. Report does not include the attack on the U.S. military base that just occurred.
I hope to post more of these reports, particularly as the Bush & Co. "crackdown" gets started in Iraq.
Roundup of violence in Iraq - 18 February 2007
By Mohammed al Dulaimy
The daily Iraq violence report is compiled by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondent Mohammed al Dulaimy in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. It’s posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchy’s Washington Bureau.
- Around 2:40 p.m. two parked car bombs exploded in NewBaghdad neighborhood near an intersection not far away from an Iraqi security checkpoint. The blast targeted civilians and caused fires and damages in several adjacent buildings near the two car bombs site, the crowded market across the street, known for selling junk materials that can be suitable for poor families, was severely damaged from the bombing. Burning cars, women in black searching for their beloved, human parts and blood covered the place. The blast claimed the lives of 60 civilians and caused injuries for more than 131 others.
- Around 3:15 p.m. a parked car bomb exploded in Al Habibia area in Al Hamza square, two civilians are killed and 11 were injured.
- Police found 3 dead bodies allover Baghdad. One in Salihia (central Baghdad not far way from the green zone), one in Al Amil (southwest Baghdad) and one in Abu Disheer (south Baghdad).
Police said that two policemen (including an officer) were killed today in a clash with gunmen in Jabal Himreen (Jabal is the Arabic word for mountain) several gunmen were killed and another three police men were also injured.
The Iraqi security forces (ISF) raid a house in Al Askari neighborhood of Hilla city. the intelligence info said that the house is used by members of Jund Al Samma (soldiers of heaven). Three cars were confiscated. Two were car bombs and the third was loaded with weapons. The early reports contradicted whether the third car was loaded by mortar rounds or shoulder surface to air missiles. A third report by Iraqi television said there was Iranian made weapons among the confiscated weapons. Captain Muthana Ahmed, Hilla police spokesman said the American troops came by midday and took the detainees and the confiscated weapons also.
- Police said gunmen killed 2 farmers in Baldrouz city (45km east Baaqouba).
- Around 5 p.m. gunmen attacked the municipality director Sabah Ahmed of Al Saddia town, a Kurd and a member of the Kurdish party PUK. 2 men of the attackers were killed.